Anne Notations

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Aridity

I seem to have turned into Boring Woman. A few times lately I've thought of things to blog, but in each case I have been unhappy with my drafts, and so they remain in the drafts folder. One of them, inspired by pissant Olympians Bode Miller, Shani Davis, and Chad Hedrick, is titled "Whiners, Wankers, and Winners." It was where I'd planned to trot out my friend Kathy's theory that men are either babies or assholes. I'm sure other opportunities will arise.

Maybe my kids have gotten to me. They tell me I'm too "weird" or "silly," as moms go. They want me to be "normal."

Why does "normal" equate, in my mind, with "bland"? Can I be "normal" and still like Star Wars? Can I sing White Stripes songs or a ballad from My Fair Lady while shopping at the mall, and still be normal?

Apparently not. At least not in the eyes of my desperately self-conscious teenagers!

Promise: This spring will bring the return of Quirky Woman. Be afraid! Heh heh.

2 Comments:

  • Frankly, I think normality is highly overrated. I take great pride in embarrassing my son!

    By Blogger bozoette, at Wed Mar 08, 01:03:00 PM EST  

  • I enjoyed your friend's description of men. I once asked my grown son why he always hangs around with women all the time. He replied, "well, men are basically assholes...duh!". My husband and I laughed and laughed over his statement.

    Take care,
    Liz

    By Blogger gardeningartist, at Tue Mar 21, 06:04:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home