Anne Notations

Thursday, April 14, 2005

My inner geek

My name is Anne. I'm 53 years old, and I'm a Star Wars addict.

Despite my children pleading with me to lie and say that I'm going on a business trip next week, I embrace my latent geekdom. I say it loud:

I'm going to the Star Wars "Celebration 3" fan convention in Indianapolis, and I'm proud!



Three years ago I fell so truly, deeply in love with "Star Wars Episode 3: Attack of the Clones," I went to the movies all summer long and saw it 13 times. That's not including the two times I saw it in the later IMAX version, and the many times I've watched it on DVD at home. I joined a few online SW discussion groups and became one with the Force. Or at least with the fans.

I incessantly quoted (and still do) corny lines from the movie: "You must JOIN me, Obi-Wan, and TOGETHER we will DESTROY the SITH!" Obi-Wan hisses back in his iciest Alec Guinness accent: "I'll never join you, DOOKU." Then there's everyone's favorite pick-up line, uttered touchingly by young Anakin Skywalker to the beautiful Padmé Amidala: "I hate sand. It's rough and coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere."

Don't get me started. I can spout this stuff all day.

Because of my little panic problem with flying, I will leave next Tuesday via Amtrak and Greyhound, and be gone nearly seven days total. I have never been away from my family for that long in the nearly 30 years that Michael and I have been married. I'm nervous and excited and looking forward to meeting the other Star Wars "sisters" I've gotten to know via the Internet. I can't wait to watch all five SW movies on big screens at the convention with these cool women. I can't wait to buy SW tee-shirts and other stuff for the kids... and for myself. I can't wait, truly, to see George Lucas live, in person, talking about the astonishing, silly, rich, complex, and mesmerizing universe he has created over the course of his filmmaking career.

After I return from Indy, there will be only a few more weeks until the premiere of the last, yes, the very last, movie in the Star Wars saga: "Revenge of the Sith," opening May 19. It will be the best one yet. I'll probably cry a lot (some really bad stuff is going to happen to our Jedi heroes). I'll probably see it 13 times this summer, maybe more.



This year it's good to be a geek.

4 Comments:

  • Dear Anne,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through these moments in your life. You are a wonderful supportive person and it's great to be able to get to know you better even though it's through the internet. I wish you a wonderful time at your Star Wars Convention! I can't wait to read all about it. A huge well done to you for going!

    Love from Caz
    xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Apr 15, 05:52:00 AM EDT  

  • May the Force be with you on your trip. Have a wonderful time. I am SO proud of you.

    Sue

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Apr 16, 12:34:00 PM EDT  

  • Have so much fun!

    You've inspired me to take my own vacation this year.

    By Blogger helenjane, at Wed Apr 20, 10:57:00 AM EDT  

  • Wow, you rock. I'm envious that you got a chance to go to Indy. While I'm an old-school fan (fell in love in 1977, had the original Barbie-sized Leia and Luke dolls), I'm impressed to see that the new movies have inspired a similar love in others. Geek is good. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue May 24, 05:37:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home