Anne Notations

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Rain and roses

Late this afternoon it rained, blessed relief after two months of drought. My late-summer gardens look refreshed and radiant in the evening light.

On Saturday, my Pennsylvania friend Jeannie and I drove to Maine to help Liz and Ralph celebrate their 35th anniversary. Dogs (seven!) and humans had a fine time. Theirs is an extraordinary marriage, based on love, gentleness, and respect.


Liz and Ralph, at home in Maine.

This evening, my flowers and a glimpse of clearing sky ended the weekend on a sweet note.



Coral tea roses by our front porch.


From the driveway next door: balloon flowers in foreground.



In the front border gardens.


Black-eyed Susans amid a forest of ferns.


Impatiens on the back deck.


Our first tiny tomatoes will be picked and eaten momentarily.


After the rains, a glimpse of sky above Hope Street.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Anne! Thanks for stopping my journal -- I'm glad you did because it meant I found yours! It's so nice to find bloggers who are close to my age for a change. Your photos are really lovely. I'll be back!

    By Blogger bozoette, at Tue Aug 23, 10:21:00 AM EDT  

  • Beautiful flowers, Anne. I love your pictures. Sure wished you lived closer so I could get you to help plan the landscape for our new house. I don't where to start! Good thing it won't be done for a couple of months!

    By Blogger Melissa McClone, at Thu Aug 25, 06:03:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home