Anne Notations

Monday, December 18, 2006

My inner June Cleaver



BZZZZZZZZZZT. The dryer buzzer just went off.

I have a love-hate relationship with the laundry. Right now I am avoiding rising from this chair and walking across the room to the freshly dried clothing that awaits my ministrations. Sometimes it is Simply Too Much at the end of a long working day.

In general, though, I love doing laundry. There is a thrill inherent in taking soiled fabric and making it clean and bright. I savor the smell and feel of the warm shirts and towels on my hands as I remove them from the dryer and arrange them in separate orderly stacks for each person in the household.

Here is the proper way to stack the laundry: jeans and khakis on the bottom, sweatshirts and heavy pullovers next, skirts, shirts/blouses, tees, pajamas, undershirts or camis, boxers or bikinis, bras (always air-dried, never put in the dryer), and socks. Clean laundry is so much easier to put away in the proper drawers when organized this way! (And anything that makes the kids more likely to put the damn laundry away is a good thing.)

Bringing order to this part of our family life is pleasing - soothing, even. As a chronically anxious and panicky person, I seem to gravitate to this humble ritual involving pleasant odors, textures, and warmth.

What everyday tasks do you adore - or dread? Why?

4 Comments:

  • Whoo! I fold properly!

    The thing I enjoy most every day is taking the cats and dog out in the yard for their walkies (it's a requirement--their sadness when they don't get to go out is very persuasive). It's like my little zen garden, and I have time to think out there.

    Fortunately, there's not much I dread everyday, but getting into my car during very cold or very hot weather would be towards the top of my very strange list.

    By Blogger BrideOfPorkins, at Tue Dec 19, 07:24:00 PM EST  

  • Shoveling snow from the driveway and sidewalk. I am on a mission to make straight lines, to clear every last speck of snow from these areas. I can see progress, get instant gratification. And I reward myself with hot chocolate when I finally return indoors.

    I also love ironing for the same reasons - being able to see progress, take something rumpled and bring it to smooth perfection, aligning seams in pants and sleeves so that the crease is **just so.**

    By Blogger Queen of She, at Sat Dec 23, 08:42:00 AM EST  

  • I'm not a big fan of any chore or routine, I confess. Laundry certainly doesn't do it for me.

    But I hear what you're saying. I get the idea.

    By Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann, at Sun Jan 07, 01:13:00 AM EST  

  • I'm not a big fan of any chore or routine, I confess. Laundry certainly doesn't do it for me.

    But I hear what you're saying. I get the idea.

    By Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann, at Sun Jan 07, 01:13:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home