Anne Notations

Monday, July 30, 2007

Scout's honor



It's been a wild and crazy roller-coaster of a move from Providence to Warwick this past week. In the process, bits of flotsam have emerged from the discouragingly large sludgepile of our belongings.

Here's a snapshot, c. 1967-1968, of our Mattapoisett Girl Scout troop. There I am on the right in my dorky green uniform, tarted up with Yardley's silver lipstick and black eyeliner. (Can I just add that I was having a rare good hair day?) I remember most of the troop members' names, too - a veritable hit parade of 1950s standards: Debbie, Jane, Rhonda, Susan, Corinne, Ruth, Anne. Michael-the-girl, behind me, was considered a bit of a bohemian.

I stuck with Girl Scouts through high school, although frankly I was too much of a princess to get behind the camping scene. How would I set my hair in the morning? What if someone heard me going to the bathroom in the outhouse-like loo?

Nearly 40 years later, I remember the Girl Scout pledge: "On my honor I will try to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people at all times, and to obey the Girl Scout laws." I swear I did not have to look that up. It's one of those early mantras, like the Pledge of Allegiance and the Lord's Prayer, that stays with you for a lifetime.

Were you ever a Scout? A Campfire Girl? What?

5 Comments:

  • Hey-

    It is not all bad to be in Scouts. While I was not, my three kids were including 2 Eagle Scouts (one of whom is Brown '02) and my daughter did not make Gold Award, but had the time of her life [and has worked at Boy Scout camp for the past three summers].

    By Blogger Michael A. Golrick, at Tue Jul 31, 09:43:00 PM EDT  

  • Brownie, Girl Scout, and Cadette. I quit in ninth grade -- I was too cool by then for Girl Scouts. I got a whole bunch of badges, including the Marian Medal for Catholic Girl Scouts, and I loved the camping. I could never ever get the damn scarf tied right, though.

    By Blogger bozoette, at Fri Aug 03, 03:23:00 PM EDT  

  • Ah, G-d , country, laws - those were the days.

    I was a member of Cub Scouts. Blue uniforms with a number patch sewed on, yellow scarf like things we tied around our necks with a gold clip with a cub on it. Meetings with snacks and activities. Once in a blue moon a hike, on which scallions were identified, picked, and snacked on. We sold cookies too.

    By Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann, at Mon Aug 06, 02:27:00 PM EDT  

  • No wonder you are cleaning up trash on the beach! lol Awesome pic and you were so cute back then. (You're beautiful now.)

    By Blogger Liz, at Thu Aug 09, 12:15:00 AM EDT  

  • Oops! Yes I was a girl scout and HATED camping because I got my period blah, blah, blah.

    By Blogger Liz, at Thu Aug 09, 12:17:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home