Anne Notations

Friday, December 22, 2006

All I want for Christmas

Yes, of course I want world peace and good will among men and all that jazz.

But what I really want is one of these:



Am I a cheap Christmas date, or what?

Lately I've been preoccupied with matters domestic and Yule and work-related. When I'm this frazzled, I find it difficult to read actual books. Even the New Yorker is beyond me most evenings.

More than 20 years ago I discovered that doing crosswords - not reading a book or a magazine - most effectively distracted me from my excruciating acrophobia when I had to fly. They engage my mind to the exclusion of all else. So, these past few months I've reached every night before bedtime for an old, spiral-bound book of New York Times crosswords. I do them obsessively and with gusto, often talking out loud to the puzzle, bargaining for just one more clue to a missing word or phrase.

Millions of people have been sucked in by Sudoku, including Michael for a while. I guess it's fun. But I'm all about words. I'll stick to what I know and love.

Last night I noticed that I have only six puzzles left in my spiral-bound book. This is giving me a panicky feeling. My palms are starting to sweat.

Please, Mr. Santa. I don't want jewels or cashmere or fancy perfumes. I've been a (mostly) good girl. Won't you put that big ol' crossword anthology under my tree?

3 Comments:

  • I assume you already have the LLB live concert DVD !!! Merry Christmas, Anne. I gave my mom the Anne Rice book for Christmas - "Christ The Lord - Out of Egypt".

    Should that period be inside the quotes? :o)

    Love,

    Tony Banana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 25, 01:00:00 PM EST  

  • Hey Tony: I don't have the LLBDVD, but that's OK... Saw them in concert again on Nov. 13. Yay!

    I loved "Christ the Lord." Beautifully conceived and written.

    Yes -- period goes inside the quotes. Love, Grammar Lady

    By Blogger Unknown, at Fri Dec 29, 11:26:00 AM EST  

  • Anne:
    i just got an email from Allyson! But I wanted to tell you that I too love crosswords. The first thing I do each night when I come home from work is sit down and do the daily puzzle in the Philadelphia Inquirer. I have enjoyed doing crosswords for many years now. I can't get into that Suduko, either, even though my daughter has. I am always looking for crossword puzzles, though. Have a good weekend.
    Gail

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Feb 17, 03:06:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home