Anne Notations

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Look at that redhead!

Ever since I hung a suet feeder outside our living room window shortly after Christmas, we've been visited by a sweet little downy woodpecker and a northern flicker (another type of woodpecker), both with small red stripes on the back of their heads.


Today's visitor, however, was far more resplendent: a red-bellied woodpecker. Really, the belly doesn't look red to me (although the bird book describes it as a "red wash"). But that bright head! Magnificent. Caroline and I stared while Michael aimed his camera.


This male woodpecker used his extra-long beak to vanquish a small flock of starlings that tried to chase him off the suet cage. Power to the ’peckers!

3 Comments:

  • Oooh. Beautiful. I have a much-visited feeder outside my dining room window. I fill it with sunflower and other seeds and it attracts white-winged doves, cardinals, blue jays, wrens, and sparrows. I know we have a woodpecker in the yard because I've seen (and heard) him, but I'll have to hang a suet feeder to get him to the window. Hadn't tried that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jan 24, 05:29:00 PM EST  

  • One of the first things we did at the new house (our first house), was hang some suet! Once, I saw six cardinals in the yard simultaneously! They'll eat suet as long as they have something substantial to sit on, like a branch. Gorgeous! All of my life up till I left the continental U.S., I'd taken those beautiful red birds for granted. I think they've forgiven me. I believe I saw a flicker yesterday, too! It's cute how they scoot around on trees like little mechanical chess pieces on a vertical board.

    By Blogger Karen, at Sun Feb 03, 11:58:00 AM EST  

  • Oh, and yesterday, I captured my first coyote sighting (in the back yard!) on video.

    By Blogger Karen, at Sun Feb 03, 12:00:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home