Anne Notations

Friday, October 17, 2008

Comic relief

Did you hear a huge sigh? That was me – and probably tens of thousands of other Americans who have desperately needed an antidote to this fall's relentless campaigning, attack ads, debates.

Last night we got it.

If you haven't yet watched video of John McCain and Barack Obama speaking in the best "roast" tradition at a tribute dinner in New York, please check it out here.

It was an equal-opportunity laff fest. There was also respect, some dignity, and a bracing dash of self-mockery thrown in. Hallelujah!

A sample:

"I can't shake that feeling that some people here are pulling for me," Mr. McCain said, turning to the far side of the stage. "I'm delighted to see you here tonight, Hillary."

Mr. McCain assured those in the ballroom that his rival was not fazed by being called, "That one," during the second presidential debate.

"He doesn't mind at all, in fact, he even has a pet name for me: George Bush," Mr. McCain said.


And from his erstwhile opponent:

"I was originally told the venue would be Yankee Stadium. Can somebody tell me what happened to the Greek columns that I requested?" Mr. Obama said.

Later, he added: "I do love the Waldorf Astoria. I hear from the doorstep you can see all the way to the Russian Tea Room."


Laughter: the best medicine. Our bruised, anxious country needs all it can get.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home