Anne Notations

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Table for one

Just because you're eating alone, you don't have to settle for grazing right out of the fridge. Or so I told myself today – my first day living solo, and I mean ever in my life. (Egads.)

Michael has to work all weekend in Connecticut, and our chicks have flown the coop. To keep myself on track, I made three meals. Schedules, within reason, are good things when you're left to your own devices. It seems to me that living alone, I could easily let my weekend home life deteriorate into an anarchic blur of sleeping, reading, snacking, gardening, and Internet. I'm on guard!

Breakfast: Activia yogurt, fresh raspberries, small slice of wheat toast spread thinly with lowfat Philly cream cheese. Bigelow peach green tea with a spoonful of clover honey.

Lunch: Slice of rye toast spread with tuna salad, topped with big fresh tomato slices.

Onward to dinner.

The basil in my back garden has waxed tall and lush while I've been housebound with my (now receding) pneumonia and bronchitis these past three weeks. I picked a big bunch and washed it. Mmmm, that smell... like a summer day in Italy.


Oh good. I have two key ingredients on hand.

Meanwhile, defrost some chicken breasts. Love those $1.99 sales.


Add olive oil to basil, garlic, and parmesan, and whir. I worship my ancient Cuisinart. How ancient? More than 20 years … and countless batches of hummus.

Set the table. Make two-bean salad (canned goods to the rescue) with balsamic vinaigrette and thin-sliced onion. Pick red Sweet 100 and orange Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes in the garden.

Now, isn't this civilized? Observe how a wedge of lemon dresses up a plain old glass of ice water. Not feeling up to a glass of Chardonnay yet. Maybe next weekend.

After taking these photos, I sat down and actually said grace – and meant it.

It's a good thing I like the looks and taste of this meal. I'll be seeing it again tomorrow and Monday for dinner, with some of the chicken also in a salad for Monday's lunch.

Whew. Survived my first day in the very empty, overly spacious, but comfy nest. My first day of a truly new life. One day at a time.

3 Comments:

  • Beautiful post. I often eat with less class than I should. It can add a lot to set things up nicely. Good for you.I particularly like the last lines. Wishing you success in every way.

    By Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann, at Sat Aug 28, 09:47:00 PM EDT  

  • " my first day living solo, and I mean ever in my life. (Egads.)"

    Wow - what a remarkable thing to experience after decades of the other. (I live most of my life the opposite way, and have to get used to having people around when folks occasionally stay or live with me.)

    And how nice (I think) that your life will have at least these two ways of living: sometimes solo, sometimes other.

    Eventually, you might do video-chat dinners with people you love on the other side of the table via laptop. But until then, I hope you grow to really enjoy these times. And great meals!

    Thank you for sharing.

    By Blogger Marsosudiro, at Sun Aug 29, 12:03:00 PM EDT  

  • Keep being kind to yourself!

    By Blogger r_weeks, at Sun Aug 29, 08:53:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home